How To Increase Male Fertility With Yoga
In this day and age of unhealthy diet and hectic work schedule, infertility in the male population is not an uncommon issue anymore. Although there are pills to help men improve their fertility these only work to a certain limit, are expensive, and leave permanent side effects in your body. However, there are many factors responsible for this medical problem with men. First, let us understand what exactly is male infertility.
Male Infertility – An Overview
Male fertility is the inability of the male to fertilize mature ova during sexual intercourse. There are many reasons for male infertility including low sperm count, blockages, or abnormal sperm function that interferes with the delivery of sperm. Moreover, an unhealthy lifestyle with health problems and bad lifestyle choices are also the leading cause behind the decline in male fertility.
With that said, let us find out the three major reasons behind this issue.
1. An Unhealthy Diet
Bad lifestyle decisions including a diet riddled with hard drugs like cannabis, alcohol, and cigarettes negatively impact male reproduction health. Medical research has shown that consumption of food having high-fat also impairs blood flow and can lead to impotence in males.
Moreover, the consumption of drugs like cannabis lowers fertility rates and ups the risk of the inability to have intercourse. It also leads to a decrease in testosterone levels, which is an important male hormone. Drugs like cocaine damage the cells that create sperm and steroids on the other hand act as a male contraceptive by suppressing the hormone secretion. In short, it wreaks havoc on male fertility.
2. Environmental Factors
Every day an individual is exposed to harmful chemicals at home, school, college, and workplace. Also, cosmetic products like skin creams contain harmful substances that lead to a reduced sperm count and production in the long run. There are specific yoga poses that help you prevent this issue in the first place. Too much exposure to chemicals and other toxic substances also causes a decline in male fertility.
3. Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
In case you have a pre-existing medical condition like an STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) like chlamydia, or gonorrhoea there is a high chance you might suffer from male infertility. The reason being genital inflammation caused by the microorganisms in these infections cause a severe change in sperm quality.
Fortunately, the ancient art of yoga has many postures that help improve male reproductive health. There has been researched clearly shows how regular yoga helps prevent male infertility.
Read More – How to Balance Vata Pitta Kapha
Yoga To The Rescue
Given below are the three major benefits of regular yoga practice with regard to male infertility.
1. Fights Stress and Anxiety
Depression and anxiety are two medical conditions that have a big impact on the male reproductive health of men and women. Although meditation does help when it comes to helping you relax after a tiring day at work. However, regular yoga practice minimizes your body’s stress response system that helps you stay away from stress and anxiety in the long run. In short, stress is the number one killer of male fertility.
2. Improved Blood Circulation
Apart from helping you relax and unwind from the daily stress, yoga does play a vital role in improving your body’s overall blood circulation. Improved blood circulation keeps your spirits up and minimizes the risk of male infertility. You can try yoga poses to fight this issue and have a healthy reproductive system.
3. Improves Overall Mood
If you are a hardcore yoga practitioner, then you are aware of how a single session of yoga helps you let go of all the stress and tension. Apart from improving your physical health with regards to flexibility; a yoga session does a lot when it comes to having a happy mood.
With that said, there are specific yoga poses you can practice treating male infertility. Remember, any yoga asana that works on your lower body will surely help treat infertility issues. Male fertility also depends on how you feel about yourself in general.
Also read: Experience the Ashram Life First-Hand
How To Increase Male Fertility With Yoga Poses
Men should practise these yoga poses for male infertility and maintain a healthy reproductive system.
1. Sarvang Asana (Shoulder Stand)
The Serving Asana is a yoga pose that requires you to maintain body balance while remaining in an upside position. This yoga asana stimulates the thyroid glands and strengthens your entire body muscles. Sarvangasana is a recommended yoga pose that helps maintain male fertility.
Steps to Practice Shoulder Stand
- Lie on your back on a yoga mat. Keep your feet together.
- Take a deep breath and raise both legs at a 90-degree angle.
- Place both your hands under the hip bone and fingertips supporting the spine.
- Inhale and bring your body up with support from your hands on the back.
- Make sure to keep both legs straight. Maintain the posture and breathe deeply for at least 20 seconds.
- Lastly, slowly fold both your legs down and come back to the starting position.
2. Paschimottan Asana (Seated Forward Bend)
- Seated Forward Bend is one of the yoga for male infertility poses that tones the muscles which support your reproductive organs. Moreover, it also leaves a positive effect on your digestive and mental health.
- Steps to Practice Paschimottan Asana
- Sit on the yoga mat and stretch both your legs in front with the toes facing the ceiling.
- While breathing brings both your arms up and bend forward to hold the big toe of your feet.
- Now bring your head down to touch the knees.
- Take 15 to 20 deep breaths and exhale.
- Slowly bring back your body to the resting position.
3. Dhanur Asana (Bow Pose)
The Dhanur Asana is amongst the best yoga pose to increase the blood flow to your reproductive organs and improve sexual wellness. It is quite effective in preventing erectile dysfunction as well as premature ejaculation. Your male fertility can come back with a boom with the regular practice of this yoga asana.
Given below is how you can perform this yoga asana with ease.
How to Practice the Bow Pose
- Lie down on your tummy on the ground.
- Keep both your arms beside your body on both sides. Make sure to keep both your legs two feet apart.
- Take a deep breath and while breathing out, fold your knees, and hold both your ankles with both hands.
- When inhaling, pull your chest off the mat and pull both legs straight on the tip of your feet.
- Look straight and stretch your body like a bow. Hold this position with only your stomach touching the yoga mat.
- Take 15 to 20 deep breaths and then slowly release the pose to get back to a resting position.
4. Nauka Asana (Boat Pose)
Practising the boat pose uses the muscles of your legs, hips, and abdomen. It also tones your pelvic muscles and releases sex hormones. Nauka Asana is also beneficial in getting rid of unnecessary fat.
How to Practice the Boat Pose
- Lie down on your back on the yoga mat with both your arms on the thighs.
- Inhale and when exhaling lift your chest, head, both the arms and legs off the yoga mat.
- Hold this position and ensure your head, arms, and feet remain in alignment.
- Continue taking deep breaths and feel the stretch on your tummy.
- Exhale and come back to the resting position.
How to Increase Male Fertility With Yoga Poses
If you wish to tone your abdominal muscles, you should give the basic plank pose a try. Further, it helps in burning belly fat. So, with regular practise of this yoga pose, the overall quality of sperms improves. Thus, it is one of the crucial yoga poses to increase male fertility.
How to Do it:
- Lie with your stomach touching the ground
- Position your palms by your chest
- With a gentle push, balance your body on your palms and toes
- Maintain this stance for as long as possible
One of the oldest poses to increase male fertility is the Vacuum pose. It is a passive yoga pose in terms of movement. However, it helps in squeezing and massaging the muscles present in your abdomen and inner thighs. So, it works on muscles involved in the production of sperms that improves their quality.
How to Do it:
- Stand with your legs a little apart and knees bent
- Place your palms on your thighs and bend forward a little
- Breathe in and out deep
- With a little push, exhale completely
- Pull your stomach in when you exhale fully
- Hold the position for some time
- Breathe in gently and repeat for a few more reps
One of the best and most effective asanas that work on your pelvic muscles is the Bridge pose. Moreover, it works on the muscles present in the lower abdomen, inner thighs, lower back, and reproductive organs. So, practising the Bridge pose works on the mobility and growth of the sperms.
How to Do it:
- Choose a comfortable and flat surface to lie on
- Lie on your back and place your feet flat on the ground
- Move your feet a little closer towards your hips
- Tuck your chin into your chest and lift your lower back
- Use your feet and shoulders to lift your back
- For further assistance, you can use your hands and elbows
- Squeeze your core, hips, and inner thighs for better results
Although male infertility is a result of following a sedentary lifestyle consisting of an unhealthy diet and no exercise. However, the yoga for male infertility poses mentioned above will certainly help men get back their lost vigour and live a healthy life. In other words, improving male fertility is a matter of keeping your body relaxed and mind free of unnecessary stress.
Read more: Why You Should Join Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh?