Bharadvaja’s Twist Pose – Best Yoga Asana Sequence For Your Spine
Named after the famous ancient sage Bharadvaja who was the father of the great warrior Dronacharya, the Bharadvaja’s twist improves the rotation ability of your spine. With daily practice, this yoga asana increases the flexibility of your back and torso. However, you should enrol in a certified yoga school to learn everything about this spine-twisting yoga asana.
Do you know that twisting yoga poses also stretch and lengthen your spine? Bharadvajasana also calms down your nervous system and detoxifies the body. The Bharadvaja’s twist is a simple seated pose you can do with ease. Moreover, the daily practise of this yoga asana also re-balances your entire body.
Let us understand a bit more about this powerful yoga pose.
Bharadvaja’s Twist Yoga Postures – A Brief Introduction
Bharadvaja’s Twist provides your spine, shoulders, hips, and torso with a good stretch. This is a gentle twist yoga poses that is safe to practice even when you are pregnant. The twisting motion provides the organs in your torso with a gentle massage.
Moreover, if you suffer from lower back pain, sciatica, or neck pain, this is the best yoga exercise you can do. In the long run, this yoga pose improves your digestion, metabolism, and helps in detoxification.
But, you must also know the right steps to practice this twisting yoga pose. Given below is a step-by-step guide to how you can practice Bharadvajasana.
Steps To Practice Bharadvaja’s Twist
- Sit on the yoga mat with legs straight in front of you. Keep your weight over to your right buttock, bend your knees, and swing your legs towards the left. Lay your feet on the floor and outside the left hip. Your left ankle should be resting on the right arch.
- Inhale. Lift through the top of the sternum to extend the front torso. Exhale. Twist your torso towards the right and keep the left buttock closer to the floor. Lengthen your tailbone towards the floor and keep your lower back extended. Relax your stomach.
- Keep your left hand under the right knee. Bring your right hand to the floor and beside your right buttock. Pull back your shoulder a little bit. Press both shoulders against your back while twisting your chest to the right side.
- Twist your torso to the right. You can also twist the torso to the left and look over your left shoulder towards your feet.
- Inhale and lift yourself through the sternum. Use your fingers to push the floor for assistance. Exhale and twist more. Hold this pose for some time.
- Release with an exhale. Come to the starting position.
- However, this Seated Yoga Poses offers you numerous physical and mental health benefits.
Bharadvaja’s Twist Benefits for Health
Bharadvajasana offers your body some major benefits like detoxification. However, that is not all.
Given below are some major health benefits of this hip-opening yoga pose.
1. Improves Parasympathetic Nervous System
Your spine gets a gentle twist during the Bharadvajasana. This improves the flow of the sacred Prana energy along the spine and minimizes stress. This yoga asana activates the parasympathetic nervous system which helps you rest especially after consuming a heavy meal.
2. Activates the Abdominal Muscles
The Bharadvajasana provides your lower abdomen with a gentle stretch that is closer to the navel. Daily practice activates your abdominal muscles with strength. In the long run, it improves your digestion and muscle strength.
3. Improves Energy Levels in Body
If you are flexible at the hips and shoulders, the flow of the sacred Prana energy improves the energy levels in your entire body. This is what gives you a major boost and minimizes stress.
However, for you to reap these benefits, there are a few safety tips that you should follow.
Safety Tips For Practicing Bharadvajasana
Given below are five tips you should keep in mind while doing the Bharadvaja’s Twist.
1) Relax the back of your neck
2) Keep your head balanced gently over your spine
3) Maintain a soft belly through the practice
4) Twist your pelvis gently with the twist
5) Keep buttocks on the ground during this yoga pose
There it is! Everything you should know about Bharadvaja’s Twist and how to do this yoga pose safely.
The Bharadvaja’s Twist offers your neck, shoulder, chest, and torso a gentle massage. The stretching and twisting action of this yoga pose improves energy levels in your body. However, you should practice this yoga pose under the guidance of a certified yoga teacher.